The R&D Department facilitates commercial clinical research on behalf of the Health Board, with a specific role in undertaking the following:
- performing a legal assessment of the contract to minimise risk (negotiation of the clinical trial agreement)
- ensuring all costs are covered and overheads are recovered
- providing a service for investigators to facilitate and co-ordinate interaction between the company and the health board in order to smooth the progress of trials through the approval process.
The earlier the R&D office is involved in the process of setting up a commercial clinical trial the better.
Health and Care Research Wales also provide a number of services to support the progress of commercial research in the NHS in Wales, including:
- General Signposting - An information and advice service available to companies looking to initiate or expand on their research and development activities in Wales.
- Feasibility Co-ordination - A central and co-ordinated system is in place to facilitate reliable feasibility assessments, enabling rapid identification of new sites across Wales.
- Contracts Advice & Support - Specialist advice is available to colleagues in the NHS and industry to support efficient contract negotiation, and facilitate speedy study set-up.
- Study Set-up & Management - Support is available to enable the effective and efficient set-up of studies in the NHS and, where needed, provide oversight of study delivery.
If you’d like more information about commercial research in Cardiff & Vale University Health Board please email: CAV_commercial.firstname.lastname@example.org