A Weight Loss Programme provided by Cardiff and Vale UHB Staff Health Dietitians
Eating for Life is a person centred supportive group programme for people who are trying to lose weight. The programme lasts for 8 weeks and runs once per week, each session lasting for 1 hour 15 minutes. The groups are a mixture of men and women of adult ages who work for the UHB. The Eating for Life programme is run across the UHB sites at different times of day. An opportunity to attend a monthly on-going support group is available on completion of the programme.
The aim of this group is to offer continued support in moving forward with lifestyle changes.
The programme is run by a qualified dietitian using principles and strategies of motivational interviewing and behaviour change to promote long term positive lifestyle changes.
Fill in the referral form now to secure your place.
- Expectations, realistic weight loss, benefits of weight loss
- Eatwell guide and controlling portions, individual staff plan
- What's in it for me ? Benefits to change
- Being more active
- Planning and menu adaptations
- Food labels
- Gaining control of your eating habits
- Weight management and lapse management
Frequently Asked Questions by participants
- What if I can’t attend the planned group dates/ venue/ time? If you cannot attend the planned dates for the Eating for Life programmes other venues and times will be considered upon request and demand. If you are unable to attend one of the weekly sessions within a programme you may be able to attend this week within a different programme.
- Will I have to weigh in front of people? No. You can be weighed each week if you want but your weight will not be shared with the group.
- Will I have to talk in front of others? Discussion is a useful part of the group but you can choose how much or how little you want to contribute.
- Will I have to exercise? Exercise will be talked about but it is not included as part of the sessions.
- Do I have to come to each session? To get the most from the group we recommend that you start at week 1 and we do ask that you attend each week. We do however appreciate that you may already have other commitments so please discuss this with the dietitian running the group.
- What if I don’t like the group? If you come and you decide that it’s not for you please speak to the dietitian so that other dietetic options can be discussed.
“It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one that feels like this”
“Excellent support, non-judgemental, safe, light-hearted”
“First time I have felt confident that I can succeed with the plans
and strategies I have learned”
“Benefited the whole family including the children”
“My cholesterol is lower”
“I am more energetic”
“Fantastic best decision I made this year, I’m on my way to a leaner fitter me”
“Helped me lose weight and face the challenges that usually defeat me”
" You can weigh without the embarrassment"
" I liked the fact that we didn't cheer while weighing"
"I always felt uplifted after each session, more determined"
"Changing my lifestyle has made me more confident"
"I sleep better"
"My diabetes has stabilised"
"Helped me take control and hopefully continue to make better choices from now on"