The programme is delivered from University Hospital of Wales and University Hospital Llandough and provides a valuable insight in to the medical profession.
It is an exciting opportunity for the students to observe ‘real life’ clinical environments, including a variety of theatres, ward rounds and clinics. Each placement is for five days and during the programme students will take part in workshops including, Simulation Training, Clinical Skills and Medical School Admissions.
Students are asked to complete a reflection log book and feedback about their experiences. Previous comments included:
“I found the week very beneficial as I’ve learned a lot and have been made aware of a huge amount of departments in Medicine that I didn’t know existed.”
“It has made me more determined to achieve my academic grades as I now know that Medicine is the right choice for me.”
“The Medical Work Observation Programme was extremely helpful and interesting. It showed me all aspects of Medicine both good and bad. I have also been made to realise the importance of team work and communication skills.”
“The variety of departments we visited allowed me to experience the daily life of a doctor or professional.”
How to apply
The application and selection process has now changed. All applications must go through your school or college. Please contact your head of sixth form or careers advisor for more information and to apply.
If you wish to apply, please ensure you meet the following the criteria:
- Must be in the relevant academic year (year 12) or above
- Must be studying 3 subjects at A Level, which must include biology and chemistry
- Must have a genuine interest in studying medicine
- Must be able to attend for the full five days of MWOP
- Must be studying/living within the Cardiff and Vale area
- Must have achieved, GCSE English or Welsh Language at Grade B or above, GCSE Mathematics at Grade B or above, GCSE BB in Dual Award Science or BB in Biology and Chemistry
Please contact the Department of Medical Education by email, or call 029 2182 6307 with any queries.