In Cardiff and Vale University Health Board our aim is to promote an honest, positive and caring approach to potential and actual problems of alcohol, drug and substance misuse within our workforce. At the same time we want to ensure that patients, their relatives and friends receive a high standard of care and service.
The Alcohol Drug and Substance Misuse Policy has been developed with these aims in mind. It includes guidelines and a procedure for managers to follow. A flowchart has recently been added giving managers a clear process to follow when there are suspected cases of alcohol drug and substance misuse out of normal office hours.
- All staff employed by Cardiff and Vale UHB can self refer to Occupational Health if they are suffering with alcohol addiction/problems
- Change for Life has a variety of tips and resources including information on the hidden dangers associated with alcohol, alternatives to drinking and the recommended daily units
- Talk to Frank is a 24/7 service giving information for people in need of emergency support or people worried about a friend or family member
- Dan 24/7 is the Wales Drug and Alcohol Free-phone Helpline that offers support including an initial assessment, referral to local services, information on drugs and alcohol and their effects and many more
- Alcohol Intervention Training for Managers run by Occupational health
- Cardiff and Vale UHB offer a range of NHS services designed to help people experiencing problems with alcohol and/or drug use.