This Group is responsible for coordinating and leading on the antimicrobial stewardship programme within the UHB.
It is responsible for:
- Maintaining and updating the Microguide content to include current guidance and assist in the development of suitable guidance for antimicrobial use in the UHB.
- Auditing the use of antimicrobials within the UHB
- Providing education opportunities to all staff about antimicrobial stewardship principles
- Supporting the Clinical Boards in their antimicrobial stewardship commitments
The core antimicrobial team consists of:
If you have a clinical query regarding an antimicrobial prescription please discuss with Microbiology or your ward Pharmacist.
If you would like to discuss any issues related to the guidance, audits or education session, please use the email addresses listed above.
Some useful information is listed in the links below
Local guidance and policies
News articles and Antibiotic Awareness campaign resources
Papers, documents and articles referenced in recent news pieces from AMG:
- Davey P, Brown E, Fenelon L, Finch R, Gould I, Hartman G, et al. Interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing practices for hospital inpatients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005(4):CD003543. Via http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003543.pub3/full
- Willemsen I, Groenhuijzen A, Bogaers D, Stuurman A, van Keulen P, Kluytmans J. Appropriateness of antimicrobial therapy measured by repeated prevalence surveys. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007 Mar;51(3):864-7. Via https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1803106/
- National Prescribing Indicators 2015-2016. Annual Primary Care Prescribing Report. Analysis of Prescribing Data to March 2016. All Wales Therapeutics and Toxicology Centre. http://www.awmsg.org/docs/awmsg/medman/National%20Prescribing%20Indicators%202016-2017.pdf
- Tackling drug resistant infection globally: final report and recommendations. The review on antimicrobial resistance. Chaired by J. O.Neill. May 2016, cited via https://www.gov.uk/government/news/governments-progress-in-preventing-drug-resistant-infections
- Costello C, Metcalfe C, Lovering A, Mant D, Hay AD. Effect of antibiotic prescribing in primary care on antimicrobial resistance in individual patients:systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010 May;340:c2096 via http://www.bmj.com/content/340/bmj.c2096
- The management and control of hospital acquired infection in acute trusts in England. National Audit Office, 2004 via https://www.nao.org.uk/report/the-management-and-control-of-hospital-acquired-infection-in-acute-nhs-trusts-in-england/
- Clostridium difficile and Staphylococcus aureas (MRSA and MSSA bacteraemia) Financial Year Report. Public Health Wales. May 2016 via http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/home
- Commitment to purpose: Eliminating preventable heathcare associated infections (HCAIs). Welsh Government. December 2011 via http://gov.wales/docs/dhss/publications/111216commithcaien.pdf
- Quality Measures. Point Prevalence Surveys of Antimicrobial Prescribing in Secondary Care in Wales 2011-2015. Public Health Wales. February 2016 via http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=457&pid=28906
- Gyssens IC, van den Broek PJ, Kullberg BJ, Hekster Y, van der Meer JW. Optimizing antimicrobial therapy. A method for antimicrobial drug use evaluation. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1992 Nov; 30(5):724-7.
- Antibacterial resistance in Wales 2006-2015. Public Health Wales. June 2016 via http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/documents/888/Antimicrobial%20Resistance%20in%20Wales%202006-2015.pdf