Looking after your physical health not only improves your fitness levels but helps you perform well at work, both mentally and physically. Benefits include:
- Improving your immune system
- Reducing your risk of medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease or high blood pressure
- Managing your weight
- Helping with sleep
- Reducing the physical and mental affects of stress
Just 30 minutes a day of an activity that makes you warm and breathe at a slightly faster rate than normal can reduce your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and stroke. Physical activity is not just formal exercise but includes household tasks e.g. cleaning the car or windows, vacuuming, walking the dog, stair climbing, gardening and dancing as long as it is done at a rate similar to brisk walking by increasing your heart and breathing rate for a 10 minute minimum period.
Local Clubs and Activities
Other Resources Available
- Occupational Physiotherapy Service
- Change 4 Life - have lots of information on how to incorporate exercise in your day to day life. They can also help you find activities in your area.
- NHS Live Well - provide information on the benefits of exercise and lots of exercise ideas that can be performed at home.